In recent years I have given a series of Powerpoint lectures that draw on and explain different aspects of this Study. The lectures have evolved as my understanding of yDNA testing has improved and our project has developed. All were presented as a case-study for other Surname DNA surname projects, some at administrator level:
- "Administering a large yDNA Surname Project", to the Guild of One-Name Studies DNA seminar, Cheltenham, 9 Feb. 2013;
- "Administering a large Scottish Surname DNA Project, to Who Do You Think You Are Live, Glasgow, 29 Aug. 2014;
- "A Scots-Irish Case Study - The Irwin Surname DNA Project" to the "Back to Your Past" event, Dublin, 10 Oct. 2015
(audio version can be found at https://youtu.be/YMcBkz79wQM);
- "Surname Projects - Some Fresh Ideas", to FTDNA's 11th International Conference on Genetic Genealogy, Houston, 15 Nov. 2015;
- "Lessons from a large yDNA Project", to Who Do You Think You Are Live, Birmingham, 8 April 2016 (audio version at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glsxj5LBzo4);
- "Advanced yDNA testing for Surname Projects", to the Guild of One-Name Studies DNA seminar, Cheltenham, 13 Aug. 2016.
Click here to view my most recent version, "SNP Testing for DNA Surname Projects". This has been adapted for this website. Despite its title it starts at square one and is in three parts - a background introduction, STR testing, and SNP testing. Slides 51-55 and 57 are "advanced" and may be skipped.
This version is hopefully a useful learning tool that complements the content of much of this website.
Supplementary Papers >