Welcome to the web-site of the Clan Irwin Surname DNA Study. This Study was launched in 2005, with the assistance of Kent Irvin, and the website was re-vamped in 2011 with the assistance of Rick Byers. Both the Study and the website remain under the aegis of the Clan Irwin Association (CIA), although CIA is not accountable for the content of this website.
Highlights of this current Update No.16:
- Steady growth of our Study continues, with 340 participants.
- 30 unrelated genetic families using the surname Irwin or variant spellings thereof have now been identified.
- Our Borders genetic family, now with 225 members, is possibly the largest such family in any DNA Surname project.
- All NPE members of this family (i.e. those not now using surname Irwin or variant spelling) are advised to take a $39 L555 SNP test: one such participant with a 78% TiP Score has been found to be L555-.
- Although three "Borders" participants took Geno2 tests and three took BigY tests in 2013, one set of these results is not yet available, and those that are available are proving difficult to analyse: BigY results include over 30,000 SNPs and full details take 4-8 hours to download!
- I hope to do a comprehensive update of Supplementary Paper No. 5 shortly.
James M Irvine, Surrey, UK;
Study Administrator, 2 May 2014;
Kit no. 29479; ISOGG Member.